It is certainly hard to believe we are a year plus into these unprecedented times. The past year has been wrought with the loss of friends and loved ones, with fear and uncertainty, with economic and social challenges, and the list could certainly go on from here. However, in the midst of all the chaos, God has encouraged me, He has calmed my fears, He has made certain my uncertainties, and He has challenged me to trust Him more.
The following is a list of 10 truths (Note: There are many more) I have gleaned in the midst of these unprecedented times:
- God will never change – Fact is, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). Regardless of what is going on. I am reminded of this certainty daily and it refreshes and restores my soul.
- God is merciful – As bad as it is, it could be much worse.
- God is patient – 2 Peter 3:9 says, “The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promises as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”
- God is still at work – God is not some aloof god who created the universe and everything in it and then simply left his creation to fend for themselves. He is a hand-on God.
- God is still in control – The throne of heaven has not been vacated. Nothing surprises the creator of the universe, including a global pandemic and a world in chaos. Reality is, nothing happens that is beyond the purview of a sovereign and transcendent God.
- My salvation is secure – Praise God! Regardless of my many faults and failures, I need not worry about the loss of the greatest gift one can ever receive-the gift of eternal life. In fact, Peter reminds us in his first letter, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,” (1 Peter 1:3-4, Emphasis mine).
- This evil, chaotic, and cruel world is not my home – I am just a foreigner here on this earth. My permeant home awaits. Christ himself has gone to prepare my place for me. And one day, when he sees fit to call me home, I will find my permeant residence with Him in heaven for all of eternity.
- The time of salvation is NOW! – The unfolding of the events of our world should come as no surprise to the Christian. The return of Christ is imminent. This gives me the overwhelming desire to make Christ known to all.
- I am blessed and thankful to live in the United States of America – Even with its challenges and faults, there is no other country I would rather have as my temporary residence than the good ole USA.
- My God, my God. Oh, how I love you more and more each day!
These are my top 10 truths God has reminded me during this time. Let me encourage each of you to take some time to consider just a few of the many truths you have gleaned in the midst of these unprecedented times we live.